What is Holga?
–verb (without an object)
© Dave Handler - Holga 120PC
–verb (with an object)
- 1. to play
- "I'm gonna holga around with it."
- 2. to innovate
- "I'll holga a way to use this film in that camera."
- 3. to artistically capture images
- "I can holga everything I think is beautiful."
- 4. to modify
- "I totally holga-ed my car's bumper with some duct tape."
- 5. to make something one's own interpretation
- "It is a normal dishwasher until I holga it into a clam steamer."
- 6. a plastic, toy camera
- "I used a Holga to shoot my friend's wedding."
- 7. a person that uses their own sense of style and artistry to interpret their surroundings.
- "He’s such a Holga, always trying crazy new things."
- 8. modified/personalized
- "Wow, your bedroom is definitely Holga!"
- 9. quirky/hip/cool
- "These new Silly Bands are Holga!"
In a world where technology changes and advances every day, it's refreshing that a chunky utilitarian camera made almost entirely of plastic has reawakened and is enlightening the analog world of photography. A Holga goes back to the bare necessities of photography and forces users to stop relying thinking on the bells and whistles and simply shoot.
© Sherry Lee - Holga 135 with Rollei Nightbird Film
Holga is for those who want to create truly unique images - for those who appreciate light leaks, enjoy slight soft focus and welcome retro vignetting. Due to its simple and inexpensive design, Holga is categorized as a toy camera. The very features that personify the Holga would be considered defects in any other camera. Holga's lo-fi attributes create distinctive images not created with any other conventional camera. These are the reasons the Holga camera has gained a huge cult following.
Teachers have employed Holga as a tool to educate students in the fundamentals of photography while exploring unpredictable and unexpected photos created by this camera. Professionals carry Holga for their fine-art appeal. Holga gives all photographers the ability to dip their toes into the otherwise very expensive world of medium format photography.
- Holga is a study in plastic imperfection. To use it is an exercise in breaking free from the dependence on technology.
- Holga is a contender. Holga challenges our visual perception. Using a Holga introduces us to an unfamiliar view of the world. We notice more things, different things, unusual things; which then take on new meaning and significance.
- Holga is a mentor; taking us under its wing and showing us a new way to see and portray our world.
- Holga is a rebel, a rule breaker. To use Holga is to utterly change the point of reference most people use to interpret photography.
- Holga is an artists' assistant. Its retro image aesthetic in combination with the photographer’s creative choices yields an unexpected work of art.